The holiday season can create time for memories, laughs, and fun. However, while on a grief journey, it may feel like the holidays create added pressure, stress, and heightened emotions. During this winter holiday season, try these activities with your child to help process memories and honor your loved ones. All of these activities require minimal supplies and the templates included are free! We hope you find these activities helpful as you continue to navigate your grief journey during the holidays.
Activity #1: Gingerbread House
- Choose a house from the template to cut out.
- Glue the house to a piece of construction paper.
- Draw or cut out the doors and windows.
- Decorate with cotton balls, sequins, stickers etc.
- Draw the people that live in the house/family.
- What is a Family?
- Who is in your Family?
- Who died in your Family?
- What has changed in your family since your loved one died?
- Who lives in your gingerbread house?
- What is happening inside your gingerbread house?
Activity #2: Mitten Memories
Activity #3: Create a Stocking in Memory of Your Loved One