Did you know that the Race 2 Remember Them initially started as a walk? The idea came from a former WARM Place family that attended our grief support program in 1993. When Parks was just 13-years-old, her father John M. Blackwell died from a heart attack. In 2013, the 20th anniversary of John’s death, Parks and Katherine created the Walk 2 Remember Them. The event was created to honor John and give back to an organization that has provided support along their grief journeys. In 2017, the Walk 2 Remember Them transitioned into the Race 2 Remember Them, also known as the John M. Blackwell Memorial Race. Over the years, it has become a wonderful WARM Place tradition, where families in our community can come together to honor their loved ones and create new memories!
We are so thankful that people like Katherine and Parks continue to support the mission of The WARM Place! For 30 years now, we have companioned over 38,000 children and their families along their grief journeys. This race helps us to continue to fulfill our mission at no cost to children and families who have lost a loved one.
Can we count on you to help us reach our fundraising goal of $78,000?
Here are a few ways you can support the R2RT!
- Sign up to race! Choose from the 10K, 5K, or 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk. Note: All options are walkable…you do not have to be a runner to join in on the fun!
Create a team when you register. When you create a team, you invite others to join you in this effort! Teams are a great way to remember a loved one as a community and to raise money for The WARM Place. Each team includes a team page that can be shared on your own social media or through email. You can then encourage others to donate in memory of your loved one via your team page! *Teams and individuals that raise over $250 will be recognized as WARM Place Warriors on race day and will receive a special token of our appreciation!
- Share your personal fundraising page when you register. Even if you are racing solo, you can still create and share your own fundraising page after you register! Share with your friends why you are racing and how they can support the mission of The WARM Place through this event.
- Become a R2RT sponsor! Are you an individual or business that might be interested in sponsoring the race? If yes, we have some awesome sponsor benefits that you should check out! Sponsorships start at $500. Questions? Email [email protected].
- Purchase a Race Route Sign. Remember or honor a loved one with a personalized sign that will be placed along our Mile of Memories at the R2RT. Signs can be purchased for $125. You can place your order online here. (Orders must be placed by February 20th.)
- Make a donation. You can donate to an individual or team’s fundraising page (mentioned above) or make a general donation by clicking here.
We need several volunteers to make this race run efficiently and create a fun environment for all our participants! There are several volunteer jobs including working Finish Line Celebration stations, handing out water to participants, and much more. Interested in lending a hand on race day? Email [email protected].
The 3rd annual Race 2 Remember Them will be held on March 2, 2019, at Acme Brick Co.! This exciting event will include a 10K, 5K, and 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk. And you don’t want to miss the Finish Line Celebration – there will be balloon animals, face painting, a photo booth, and more! We hope you will join us as we race to remember and honor our loved ones! Check out the pictures from the event last year!
The WARM Place
809 Lipscomb St.
Fort Worth, TX 76104
Wednesday, February 27: 7:00am – 6:30pm
Thursday, February 28: 7:00am – 6:30pm
Friday, March 1: 7:00am – 6:30pm
March 2, Schedule of Events:
6:30am – Registration/packet pick up opens
7:15am – Remembrance ceremony
7:45am – WARM ups led by Jazzercize
8:00am – 1 Mile
8:30am – 10K
8:35am – 5K
9:30am – Awards Ceremony
Check out our FAQ page on our website!